Sometimes, I’d rather not know. Really, really rather not know. Really. The plaster walls are in horrific shape.
Wallpaper is the only thing holding the ceiling up. The plaster has completely disconnected from the lath. The plaster ceiling cannot be saved and will need to be replaced with drywall due to cost restrictions.
The wall between the kitchen and den had already been replaced with drywall by the previous owner. Once the drywall came off we found that 3 of the wall studs, which support the second story, are damaged by dry rot.
That corner of the room sits underneath the upstairs bath. That must have been one hell of a water leak!
The bottom of the studs are completely eaten through by dry rot in places. It makes me wonder why the second story hasn’t started to sink into the den?
On the same wall we found fraying 92 year old asbestos insulation around the heating duct and vent. We decided the safest course of action would be to encapsulate the asbestos with duct tape since removing it could cause a lot of fibers to be released into the air because of the way the duct runs up between two stories.
We also discovered an old termite infestation. There were no live termites but they had been there and eaten away some of our window frame and the lath.
To top things off, mold was growing on some of the lath.
Gee, lets see, termites, mold, asbestos, dry rot, and shot plaster. A homeowner’s worst nightmares encapsulated in one 12’ x 12’ space. It was another bang up day in home ownership!